Mister Ed




On principle I hate nostalgia, but in reality I find its appeal hard to resist. It's especially hard when it's drenched in baby oil and standing on a California beach. Today I want to hop into a time machine and land on Ed Fury's buns, circa 1955. I think this would have been about the right time, about when Bruce Bellas (Bruce of Los Angeles) and Bob Mizer (Athletic Model Guild) were immortalizing him and Bill Brooms (or Broomes) and humpy blond Henry Lenz (respectively) in posed-combat photos (see below). I just want to get my paws on the man (b. Edmund Holovchik in 1928) before the The Wild Women of Wongo got him. And before Ed hit it semi-big in Italian peplum movies of the 1960s, he was part of the scenery in some pretty important (or at least fairly typical) examples of 1950s Hollywood, including Abbott and Costello Go to Mars, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Island in the Sky, The Student Prince, Demetrius and the Gladiators, The Country Girl, Female on the Beach, I Died a Thousand Times, Bus Stop, and South Pacific.




Comments

  1. Cool post, Joe! I've always loved classic 1950's beefcake even though I wasn't born until many years later. In my opinion, the bodybuilders of that era had the most beautiful physiques and stunning good looks. Ed Fury was gorgeous but Dick DuBois is my personal fave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Wild Women of Wongo" is my favorite exploitation movie, and a great example of beefcake/physique homoerotica that went on in that time. You'll laugh at it now, sure (and for good reason) but the out-there male muscle is unmistakable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. In my house you will find nothing but respect for the beefcake of Goona in The Wild Women of Wongo. No filmmaking is so shoddy that it cannot be redeemed by glistening muscle, a catfight, a nod to Plato's allegory of the cave, and narration by Mother Nature herself!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more